The Peotone Fire Protection District is currently accepting applications for Part-Time Firefighter/Paramedics and Part-Time Firefighter/EMT-Bs for each of the following shifts:
Gold Shift: 2 positions available
Black Shift: 3 positions available
Red Shift: 2 positions available
The Peotone Fire Protection District’s (PFPD) leadership is dedicated to providing a progressive fire department for the community through personal and professional development of its staff. The PFPD operates with a part-time staff of 45 Firefighter/Paramedics and EMT-B’s, a Fire Chief, and one full-time civilian employee, from one station located at 7550 W. Joliet Road.
The Peotone Fire Protection District is an all-hazards ISO Class 4 fire department, responding to 1,000 calls to service annually to the residents of Peotone and unincorporated Will County. PFPD is an active organization within MABAS Division 19 and offers opportunities to participate in specialty rescue teams: (CART, HazMat) and arson investigation.
A FF/PM or FF/EMT-B performs duties in the areas of emergency medical, fire suppression, hazardous material, specialized technical rescue responses, fire prevention and public education activities. These duties are above average in physical and mental difficulty. The FF/PM, FF/EMT-Bs is expected to maintain themselves, and all equipment in an “at ready status” to respond. Responses will be at all hours of the day and night and in all types of weather. The FF/PM, FF/EMT-Bs position involves considerable public contact, preparation of thorough and complete written reports, reading comprehension and public speaking. FF/PMs, FF/EMT-Bs are scheduled 12 to 24 hours on duty followed by 48 hours off duty.
• Have high school diploma or GED
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Be certified Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter with the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshall
• Be IDPH licensed EMT-B; Paramedic preferred, with ability to test into the Sliver Cross EMS System
• Have valid Illinois Class B non-CDL Driver's License
• Not have felony convictions
• New hires will be required to meet all department training and education requirements
• New hires will be responsible for patient care and completing all necessary patient care report forms
• New hires will perform interior and exterior structural firefighting operations
• New hires will be required to become familiar with district vehicles, operations, and St. Mary’s region SMO’s and PFPD policy and
• New hires will work as part of the Districts Public Education Program
• Other duties as assigned
• Firefighter/EMT-B Starting Pay: $16.97/hour
• Firefighter/Paramedic Starting Pay: $18.67/
• Preference points available for part-time employees when testing for full-time employment
• Incentive for years of experience
• New Hires can work up to 212 hours in 28 days (This does not include department training time or call back time during major
• Paid holidays (time and a half)
• Free Continuing Education and training opportunities (IDPH and OSFM certification classes)
The selection process will include:
• Oral interview
• Background check including references
• Pre-employment medical evaluation including vision and other requirements in accordance to the most current National Fire
Protection Association Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Districts (NFPA 1582)
Peotone Fire Protection District
7550 W. Joliet Rd.
Peotone, IL 60468
The completed application and required documents must be dropped off in- person at Peotone Fire Protection District, Monday through Friday from 8:30AM – 4 PM.
The Peotone Fire Protection District is a Equal Opportunity Employer.